Friday, March 17, 2017

Copyright



After critiquing the two copyright resources I visited for this blog post this week I have come to the conclusion that copyright can be a very blurred concept. I believe this because I don’t think everyone is properly educated on what is/isn’t against copyright laws. Within my time here at Rutgers I have been educated heavily on plagiarizing whether it be for someone else’s work or properly citing text from an author. However, I have not heard once about copyright until this blog post. In my first year of the graduate school I was assigned various projects where I had to create multimedia projects. For one of my projects the document was removed from YouTube because it stated that it dishonored one of the copyright laws. I was astonished when this happened because I was not aware of what I did wrong and thought that because I cited the audio that I used in my project it was okay. Since copyright laws are not regularly addressed I find that people tend to think of them in less of a mandated order. It is important when being an educator to address these concerns to your students so they are well advanced and clearly understand what is, and what is not, against copyright laws. In today’s educational world technology has become such an essential piece in children’s education that it is imperative for them to be educated on these topics. When students and educators are educated on these different laws it will not only make their workload easier but also may cause less frustration later on. The first resource I viewed was, "YouTube Copyright Basics" by YouTube Help, the following excerpt is my critique on this resource.

With this resource I really enjoyed how the concepts of copyright and everything there is to learn about the topic were explained simply for viewers to be able to understand at all age levels. However, I did not like the characters that were used and the way they communicated amongst one another. I think that the way the actors/delivers of information presented the material made it seem like the video was meant for a much younger age level. However, the way the information was presented and thoroughly explained made me like watching this video and be able to effectively learn about the different concepts regarding copyright. A nice feature of this video was the humor that was implemented to address different conflicts that are involved when copyrighting. I think this was helpful for keeping the interest of all the viewers of the video to be able to know the different precautions when using other user’s videos on YouTube. Overall I found this video to be very informative on copyright and all the issues users and producers run into while utilizing videos from across the YouTube platform.


The next resource I viewed was, "The Educator's Guide to Copyright and Fair Use" by Education World, the following excerpt is my critique on this resource.

I really enjoyed viewing this text-based resource because it implements a way to be able to educate your students and yourself of the important concepts of copyright. Although copyright made be a challenging concept to understand when it is delivered through a unit it can be helpful for not only students but also teachers as well. I like that it incorporates different instances that might have occurred and then educates the viewer on these topics. One of the topics states, “Have you ever…” this is a very quick and useful way to notice if you have performed any of these acts before and then be able to learn whether or not this may violate the copyright laws. This website does a great job of walking through all the common mistakes and then helping you to understand whether or not this is a flaw and going over the basics for copyright. However, something that I did not like about this informational resource was how text-heavy it is and the lack of multimedia aids for further explanations. I think for different users the use of multimedia within this resource could be very essential. Overall, I found this resource to be a very good place to go and navigate various information regarding copyright, however, I think it is targeted towards a higher age level since it contains a lot of text. 

http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr280.shtml


References

Starr, L., & Education World. (2010, March 25). The Educator's Guide to Copyright and Fair Use. Retrieved March 17, 2017, from http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr280.shtml

YouTubeHelp. (2013, July 01). Retrieved March 17, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp1Jn4Q0j6E&list=PLvzOwE5lWqhTbOCIFp_OxsN6nC-l20kMT&index=3

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paige,
    Just like you, I have had little to no instruction on copyright through my education, but have been heavily taught about plagiarism. So far, I have not come into any situation where I have been told of breaking nay copyright laws, but I would have no idea of what laws and guidelines there are, if it was not for this week's assignment and lesson, which is a little shocking. I feel like copyright is this idea everyone has heard about, but does not really understand, and as we move on in the the digital world where multimedia and technology is so prevalent in the world and classroom, it is important that we learn and can teach our students! This blog was incredibly useful! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige,
    I had a similar experience as you. Throughout college, we are constantly warned about the dangers of plagiarism in our writing; yet, when it comes to multimedia the rules go out the window! In my sophomore year creative writing class, students were assigned to use iMovie to create a "digital essay." It's amusing to think that our professor did not hold us accountable to copy right laws! In his defense, we did not post the videos on Youtube, and the purpose of the assignment was to learn how to use the various features of iMovie to convey a message. I am surprise to learn that Youtube removed one of your multimedia projects from their site! So often we see regular people share music on Youtube without any repercussions.

    ReplyDelete